Oct 21, 2012

Designer Camouflage


This year 6 class was tasked with designing and painting their own camouflage print for a real or imagined environment — something to make them inconspicuous while traipsing through a Lego landscape, lolly shop or a far away planet etc.


The students dreamed up a location and suitable colourway, then quickly planned their shapes in pencil before setting about painting. Tints and shades were encouraged and I suggested a limit of 3 or 4 colours. Most students went for fairly typical interlocking organic shapes. Their environment/print titles were great, a few were: Pink Pop, Mercury Lake, City Summer Night, Swirly Sweets, Wacky Waves and even Sponge Bob!


Since this lesson occurred I've discovered Andy Warhol's camouflage prints from the 1980s. I wish I knew of them beforehand as they would have been great to show the class. You can see a collection of his prints and read some interesting commentary at this LA Times art review. It even includes a quote from Picasso, who on first seeing actual camouflage print during WWI reportedly declared "It is we who created that". I think this lesson has the potential to be even richer in the future.

                                                  

12 comments:

  1. So funny, I have been planning this exact lesson myself! These look awesome- I will be sure to show my students your examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic! I'm sure your students LOVED this and they had a great opportunity to build their art knowledge and skills. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an amazing idea to introduce Andy Warhol’s work! You are surprising! I’ll pin your work on Pinterest! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! Wouldn't it be interesting for the kids to write a story with themselves in their fantasy environment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice way to put thought into creating abstract art :) Thanks for the Andy Warhol info - I hadn't seen his camouflage prints either - it's background info like this that really brings a lesson to life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great art lesson! I have also been seeing some of Warhol's camouflage work on Pinterest lately. You can tell they really took to this assignment. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous lesson! I love seeing the kids' creative solutions to the challenge. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG how have I missed your blog!? I love these! My kids would absolutely love this project...anything camo up here in North Country New York goes over big! Such a great way to introduce abstract art! Another steal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Welcome aboard : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just posted my lesson and put a link to yours - happy with the results!

    ReplyDelete