Nov 25, 2012

Slip ‘n’ Slide


These were created by an enthusiastic year 6 class. I asked them to draw a simple silhouette, shape or letter and cross through it with two diagonal lines. Each time their shape was intersected by one of these lines it had to be moved either up or down the incline. I did a few quick examples on the board which helped me convey the task to the class. One student called it a “broken glass effect”, a great description I thought.

The class began by sketching ideas on rough paper. After they'd transferred their chosen idea to their good paper in pencil, they traced it with a permanent marker. The final step was to use watercolour paint to block in the various segments. They were able to use any colours they liked but encouraged to use only 4 or 5 at most.


I think I've seen an artwork like this before, but I can't think where... I thought I may have seen it in one of my mum's art books, but I searched high and low but couldn't find it. It's just as likely to be a world-famous piece that everyone should know about! Please let me know if so : )


3 comments:

  1. This broken glass effect is a great idea! we could even use it to paint with complementary colors ( exercise on the colors theory). I’m thinking about an artwork like this... let me check! Thanks for sharing Mr Hall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome lesson! love the colors.

    ReplyDelete